- Unable to meet its targets for providing own home to every rural household under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yoajana (PMAYGramin), the rural development ministry would seek time extension of two years for the flagship programme.
- According to sources, the rural development ministry would seek Cabinet approval for time extension till March 31, 2022.
- The mission, which was launched in 2016, had set an initial target of constructing 2.95 crore houses based on Socio-Economic Caste Census 2011 data.
- The ministry had set the target of constructing 1 crore houses in the first phase of PMAY-Gramin by 2018-2019 financial year.
- However, till February 27 this year (a year after the initial deadline), 96.84 lakh houses had been completed.
136 total views