- In Rajya Sabha’s written response, the Minister of Steel pointed out that India’s per capita steel consumption is 74.7 kg, compared to the world average level of 229 kg during 2019-20.
- The “National Steel Policy” issued in 2017 aims to achieve 300 tons of steel production capacity in India by 2030.
- It has a long-term vision to increase domestic consumption, produce high-quality steel, and make the industry globally competitive.
- National Steel Policy Objectives: Increase crude steel production capacity to 300 tons by 2030-31.
- By 2030-31, per capita steel consumption will increase to 160 kg.
- By 2030-31, domestic production will meet all demands for strategically used high-end automotive steel, special steel and alloys, and electrical steel.
- Become a net exporter of steel by 2025-26.
64 total views