Skip to content
Deepak Kumar wins silver in boxing at Strandja Memorial Tournament in Bulgaria
- At the 72nd Strandja Memorial Tournament in Sofia, Bulgaria on February 27, 2021 Deepak Kumar, in boxing, has won a silver medal.
- In the men’s flyweight he lost the final face-off in a split decision against Daniel Asenov of Bulgaria.
- Deepak Kumar, an Asian Silver winner, was up against Asenov who is a two-time European Championships gold medalist.
- In the semifinals, the Indian boxer had earlier created quite a flutter in the tournament when he stunned Uzbekistan’s Shakhobidin Zoirov, reigning Olympic and World Champion.
- The Bulgarian boxer was sharp in his counter-attacking game and was consistently on high-guard which resulted in denying Deepak Kumar a clear shot for the most part during the game on February 27.
- However, Deepak Kumar’s second round was better and he had also put up a stronger defensive performance but the judges ultimately ruled in the favor of Bulgaria’s Asenov.
You May Also Like