Israeli Military Operation in Jenin Refugee Camp
- Jenin Refugee Camp is a Palestinian refugee camp located in the northern West Bank, specifically in the city of Jenin.
- Established in 1953, the camp was created to accommodate Palestinian refugees who were displaced during the 1948 Arab-Israeli war, also known as the Nakba
- The camp has also been a site of frequent clashes between Palestinian militants and Israeli forces over the years.
- Jenin Refugee Camp remains a symbol of the Palestinian refugee issue and the ongoing Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
- Al Aqsa Mosque: It is one of the holiest structures in the Islamic faith known by Muslims as Haram al-Sharif, or the Noble Sanctuary, and by Jews as the Temple Mount.
- Sheikh Jarrah: Sheikh Jarrah is a neighbourhood located north of the Old City in East Jerusalem
- West Bank: West Bank is a landlocked territory in West Asia. It also contains a significant section of the western Dead Sea.
- Gaza Strip: The Gaza Strip is located between Israel and Egypt. Israel occupied the strip after 1967, but relinquished control of Gaza City and day-to-day administration in most of the territory during the Oslo peace process.
- Israel launched a military operation in the Jenin Refugee Camp in the occupied West Bank, resembling wide-scale operations carried out during the second Palestinian uprising (2000-2005).
- The operation aimed to destroy and confiscate weapons and targeted specific militant groups. It involved around 2,000 soldiers and utilized military drones for strikes.
- Humanitarian Crisis: The Jenin Refugee Camp is home to Palestinian refugees, and any military operation could exacerbate the already challenging humanitarian situation in the camp, potentially leading to displacement, restricted access to basic necessities, and difficulties in delivering aid and medical assistance.
- Escalation of Tensions: Such operations can lead to heightened tensions between Israeli authorities and Palestinian communities, potentially triggering further violence and instability in the region.