23rd April 1965, Belwa, Bihar
58 years (as of 2023)
5’9” (in feet)
Ava Nayla Bajpayee (Daughter)
1 brothers and 3 sisters
Shabana Raza aka Neha (Current Wife)
Manoj Bajpayee is a seasoned actor and one of the best method actors in the country. Manoj is a performer for all occasions. He has immortalised characters of all colours in films of many genres throughout the course of his outstanding career spanning more than 25 years. Awards like the numerous Filmfare and National Film Awards have obviously come calling.
Manoj Bajpayee's Early Life:-
Manoj Bajpayee was born in Belwa, a tiny village in the state of Bihar’s West Champaran. He was the second of five children. Manoj attended Maharani Janaki College in Bettiah after graduating from Khrist Raja High School in Bettiah in the twelfth grade. Manoj later relocated to Delhi, where he attended Satyawati College before graduating from Ramjas College, Delhi University.
Manoj, who had a strong interest in performing since Chilhood, applied three times to the National School of Drama (NSD) but was turned down each time. A friend of Manoj later introduced him to Barry John’s acting school. John chose to hire Manoj as his teaching assistant after being impressed by his work at the studio. Manoj then sought to join NSD for the fourth time, requesting to work as a teacher for the organisation.
Manoj was married to a woman in Delhi before making his acting debut. However, during his Struggling times, the couple split. Manoj then met Shabana Raza, a Bollywood actress better known by her stage name Neha, in 1998, four years after making his film debut. The couple got married in 2006 and welcomed their daughter Ava Nayla into the world in 2011.
- BA in History Honors at Ramjas College, Delhi
- MA in Pali language at Ramjas College, Delhi
Parents & Siblings:
Radhakant Bajpayee, Manoj bajpayee’s father, was a farmer who died in October 2021. Geeta Bajpayee, Manoj’s mother, who was a homemaker died on December 8, 2022.
Manoj is the second youngest of five siblings. Kamini Shukla is his eldest sister’s name. Poonam Dubey, Manoj’s younger sister, is a fashion designer. Garima Bajpayee is the name of one of his younger sisters. Sujit Kumar Bajpayee Vinay, his brother, is a joint secretary in the Ministry of Environment, Forests, and Climate Change (MoEF&CC).
Wife & Children:
While Manoj was in Delhi in the early 1990s, he had an arranged marriage with a Bihari girl. However, the Couple got divorced in 1995. Manoj later met Indian actress Neha aka Shabana Raza for the first time at the launch of the Hindi film ‘Satya’ (1998). They were introduced by one of their mutual friends.
In an interview, Manoj stated that when he arrived at the party, he noticed Neha wearing specs and had oily hair, which is unusual for Bollywood actresses. Manoj praised her for her simplicity and bravery in attending a Bollywood function in that outfit. They became good friends at the party. Manoj and Neha met several times and fell in love. After dating for nearly eight years, the couple got married in April 2006. The couple had a daughter named Ava Nayla in 2011.
Manoj began his career as a member of the Indian theatre director Barry John’s theatrical action group for a salary of Rs 1200. Manoj, along with other theatre artists such as Gajraj Rao, N.K. Sharma, and Arvind Babbal, founded the theatre group called ‘The Act One’ in Delhi in 1990 and acted in many theatre productions with the group.
- Manoj made his Bollywood debut in 1994 with the film ‘Bandit Queen,’ in which he played dacoit Maan Singh.
- In 1998, Manoj rose to prominence as Bhiku Mhatre in the Hindi film ‘Satya.’
- Manoj then went on to star in a number of popular Hindi films, including ‘Shool’ (1999), ‘Aks’ (2002), ‘LOC: Kargil’ (2003), ‘Raajneeti’ (2010), ‘Gangs of Wasseypur’ (2012), and ‘Bhonsle’ (2018).
- Manoj’s career began to decline in 2004 following the release of the Hindi film “Inteqam: The Perfect Game.” Bewafaa (2005), Fareb (2005), Dus Kahaniyaan (2007), Money Hai Toh Honey Hai (2008), and Jail (2009) are a few of his other Hindi movies that did poorly at the box office.
- Manoj was highly praised for his work in Hindi movies including “Kaun” (1999), “Zubeidaa” (2001), “Special 26” (2013), and “Sonchiriya” (2019).
- Manoj made his Telugu movie debut in 1999 with “Prema Katha,” in which he played the role of Sankaram.
- ‘Happy’ (2006), ‘Puli’ (2010), and ‘Vedam’ (2010) are a few additional Telugu movies in which Manoj has appeared as an actor.
- Manoj made his Tamil film debut in 2013’s “Samar,” as Rajesh Arunachalam.
Additionally, he performed in the 2014 Tamil movie “Anjaan”.
- ‘Jai Hind’ (2015), ‘Taandav’ (2016), ‘Kriti’ (2016), and ‘Ouch’ (2016) are just a few of the Hindi short films in which Manoj Bajpayee has acted.
- Manoj made his television debut in 1993 with the Doordarshan series “Shikast,” in which he portrayed a dunce who was a goon’s associate.
- Manoj has appeared in several Hindi television serials, including ‘Imtihaan’ (1995), ‘Swabhimaan’ (1995), and ‘Badaltey Rishte’ (1996).
- Manoj made his web series debut in the Amazon Prime Video series ‘The Family Man’ (2019), playing Srikant Tiwari. Both critics and viewers praised his performance in the series. Manoj also appeared in the series’ second season.
- In 2021, Manoj starred in the episode ‘Hungama Hai Kyon Barpa’ of the Hindi online series ‘Ray,’ which was available on Netflix.
National Film Awards:
- Best Supporting Actor for the Hindi film in 1999 Satya.
- In 2004, The Hindi film Pinjar received a Special Jury Award.
- Best Actor for the Hindi film Bhonsle in 2021
- 1999: Best Actor in a Hindi Film (Critics) ‘Satya’
- 2000: Best Actor in a Hindi Film (Critics) ‘Shool’
- 2017: Best Actor in a Hindi Film (Critics) ‘Aligarh’
- 2021: ‘Taandav’ wins the award for Best Actor in a Short Film.
Asia Pacific Screen Awards:
- 2016: Best Actor Performance for the Hindi film ‘Aligarh’.
- 2019: Best Actor Performance for ‘Bhonsle’ in Hindi
Filmfare OTT Awards:
- 2020: Best Actor in A Drama Series (Critics) for the web series ‘The Family Man 1’.
- 2021: Best Actor in A Drama Series (Critics) for the web series ‘The Family Man 2’.
- 1999: Best Supporting Actor in a Hindi Film ‘Satya’
- 2002: Best Actor in a Negative Role for the Hindi film ‘Aks’
Zee Cine Awards:
- 1999: Best Actor in a Supporting Role – Male for ‘Satya’, a Hindi film.
- 2002: Best Performer in a Negative Role for the Hindi film ‘Aks’.
- 2016: Jagran Film Festival Award to ‘Aligarh’ movie for Best Actor.
- 2018: Gali Guleiyan received the New York Indo-American Arts Council Film Festival’s Best Actor Award.
- 2021: The Indian Film Festival of Melbourne awards to Manoj for Best Actor in a Web serial for the web series ‘The Family Man’.
- Manoj was awarded with Stardust Awards Best Actor Award for Gangs of Wasseypur in 2013.
- Manoj was awarded with Bihar Film Ratna Award, 2016.
- Manoj was awarded with Padma Shri in 2019 for his contributions to the arts.
- In 2021, FOI Online Awards for Best Actor in a Leading Role for his performance in the Hindi film Bhonsle.
Manoj Bajpayee’s net worth is estimated to be at Rs.118 crore (as of 2022).
Manoj charges roughly around Rs.5-6 crore for each of his film (as of 2022).
- BMW 5-Series worth Rs.55 lakh
- Mercedes GLE Coupe worth Rs.1.27 crore
- Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza worth Rs.12 lakh
- Toyota Land Cruiser Prado worth Rs.1 crore
- Mercedes-Benz GLS 400d 4MATIC worth Rs.1.27 crore
- Toyota Fortuner worth Rs.35 lakh
- Mahindra Scorpio worth Rs.15 lakh