Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Scheme: Eligibility, Objectives, Features and Benefits
WHAT IS BETI BACHAO BETI PADHAO?
The Prime Minister introduced Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) on January 22, 2015, at Panipat, Haryana. On a life-cycle continuum, BBBP addresses the declining Child Sex Ratio (CSR) and associated concerns of women’s empowerment. The Ministries of Women and Child Development, Health & Family Welfare, and Human Resource Development are working together on it.
The enforcement of PC & PNDT Act, a nationwide information and advocacy campaign, and multi-sectoral action in a select 100 districts (poor on CSR) in the first phase are the main components of the project. On-site training, sensitization, awareness-raising, and community mobilisation all place a major focus on changing people’s mindsets.
LOCAL INITIATIVES TOOK SO FAR
Pithoragarh district has implemented a number of measures under the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Scheme to safeguard girls and support their right to an education. Both the Block Task Force and the District Task Force have been established. In relation to the child sex ratio, several forums have organised meetings and created clear road maps. Activities to raise awareness have been taken out to spread the Scheme more widely and to the community at large. Various Rallies have been held with the support of several schools, Army training facilities, government employees, etc.
Street plays are also being held in Pithoragarh to raise awareness about Beti Bachao Beti Padhao. In addition to being staged in villages, these street plays are also performed in marketplaces to raise awareness among a wider audience. Through narrative visualisation, sex-selective abortion’s concerns are being brought to the public’s attention. These street plays do a great job of portraying issues pertaining to girls and the various challenges they encounter throughout their lives. 700 students from PG institutions and a number of Army personnel have heard about the BBBP through a Signature Campaign, Pledge and Oath Ceremony, and other events.
Beti Bachao Beti Padhao's goals
- The plan attempts to combat societal prejudice against females while also influencing the attitude of individuals in the country.
- The programme aims to address a wide range of concerns, such as lowering the child sex ratio (CSR), promoting women’s empowerment, eradicating gender-based inequality, and protecting young girls.
- Other goals of the programme include the education of girl children and their engagement in society.
- Through widespread pan-Indian efforts and multi-sectoral government activities in 100 areas identified as gender-critical, the programme will attempt to solve the CSR issue.
Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Eligibility
Here are the essential criteria to remember while determining eligibility for the plan.
- The household must have a girl kid under the age of ten.
- In the name of the family’s girl child, a Sukanya Samriddhi Account, or SSA, should be created in any Indian bank.
- The girl kid should be an Indian resident. NRI citizens are not eligible for the BBBP scheme.
How to Participate in the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Programme?
- You may quickly apply for the programme by going to a bank or post office, where it is widely available as a first step.
- After that, you must complete the BBBP/SSA application form on your own and submit any required supporting documentation.
- To create an account in your girl’s name and allow her to profit in the future, you must present these documents to the relevant official.
Benefits of the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Programme
- A girl youngster can create an account under this programme to achieve future financial stability.
- The account will continue to be entirely tax-free and exempt under Section 80C of the Act of 1961.
- This account earns a respectable interest rate, and the female kid may only take money from it when she becomes 18 years old.
- Daughters can easily save money thanks to their parents or guardians.
- A savings plan called the SSA (Sukanya Samriddhi Account) has been introduced as part of the programme.
- creating awareness of issues affecting women and girls.
- enhancing the delivery of services for women seeking assistance.
- Be sure to address the dropping child sex ratio in important States and areas.
- Accounts under the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana have an annual interest rate of 8.1%.
- The annual maximum deposit amount is Rs. 1.50 lakh.
Important Elements of the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Programme
- organising discussions and debates on lowering the child sex ratio (CSR) in order to raise awareness and ensure progress.
- promoting community involvement and striving to improve conditions related to a female child’s development and delivery.
- establishing broad communication campaigns to spread knowledge about the BBBP plan.
- Educating local government officials and involving staff from government agencies and educational institutions in the protest for societal change.
- The BBBP programme strives to protect young girls while also putting an end to cruel practises like foeticide and female infanticide.
- A crucial component of ensuring that every female child has appropriate access to school is the promotion of women’s engagement in education.