- Buddhism is a major world religion, with an estimated 500 million followers worldwide.
- It originated in India over 2,500 years ago and spread to other parts of Asia, including Sri Lanka, China, Japan, and Tibet.
- Buddhism has also influenced other religions, such as Hinduism and Christianity, and has contributed to the development of many cultural traditions, such as meditation, mindfulness, and yoga.
- On the political front, Buddhism has played a role in promoting nonviolence, social justice, and human rights. For example, the Dalai Lama, a spiritual leader of Tibetan Buddhism, has been a vocal advocate for nonviolence and democracy and has received the Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts.
- In November 2011, New Delhi was host to Global Buddhist Congregation (GBC), where the attendees unanimously adopted a resolution to form an international umbrella body – the International Buddhist Confederation (IBC)
- The first Buddhist Summit was held in Japan in 2008, and subsequent summits have been held in other countries, such as India, Thailand, and Sri Lanka.
- The summit aims to promote understanding and cooperation among different Buddhist traditions and to address contemporary issues facing Buddhist communities, such as environmental degradation, social inequality, and political unrest.
- The summit provides a platform for Buddhist leaders to share their perspectives and insights on various topics, such as mindfulness, compassion, and the role of Buddhism in modern society.
- The Ministry of Culture, in partnership with International Buddhist Confederation (IBC), has organised the 1st Global Buddhist Summit 2023, which aims to enhance cultural and diplomatic relations with other countries.
- The summit aims to discuss today’s pressing global issues and look for answers in the Buddha Dhamma that are based on universal values.
- The aim is to set up a forum for lay Buddhist scholars and Dharma Masters.
- It seeks to delve into Buddha’s message for Peace, Compassion and Harmony with the objective of working towards Universal Peace and Harmony in accordance with the core values of Dharma.
- This global Summit will mark the significance and importance of India in Buddhism, as Buddhism was born in India.
- This summit will also be a medium to enhance the cultural and diplomatic relationships with other countries, especially with the countries which embrace the Buddhist Ethos.
Content contributed by- Jeffrey V